As I was browsing Pinterest for a healthy version of rice crispy treats, all I could find were ones loaded with sugar filled cereals, more refined sugars and butter.
I’ve been making little goodie bags filled with healthy treats to hand out to the little cuties next week and wanted to incorpoate some things they would enjoy but would also give them some nutrition and ward off the sugar high that can be common on this spooky day! Of course, I needed to add a snack we all love… Rice Crispy Treats – which are made with not-so-good-for-you cereal covered in refined sugar, marshmellow and butter. So I went on a recipe makeover and voila…we now have a healthy version of rice crispy treats that avoid all the nasties that make your body feel jittery, bloated and icky. These guys are made with whole food, healthy fats, dairy, gluten and refined sugar free and taste amazing with a cold glass of Almond Mylk, which you can order here in the NN Shop!
Although I made these to hand out to the little witches and wizards this weekend, me and my husband have completely finished the whole batch #whoops!
That being said, these are a nutritious snack, dessert, or breakfast option for all ages. They are quick and easy to make and store great for about two weeks.
What are your favorite Halloween treats? Give these a try and show me your creations by tagging #NourishingNelli on Instagram or Facebook!
Move Fast, Eat Slow, Live Well,
- 3 cups brown rice crisps cereal – One Degree is my go to brand
- 3 tbsp flax meal
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1/2 cup natural almond butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- Warm the almond butter, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and honey in a small sauce pan until well combined.
- In a large bowl stir brown rice crisp cereal, flax meal, salt and cacao powder.
- Pour your sauce in the bowl and mix to coat everything.
- Press firmly into a parchment lined 9×13 in dish and freeze for 2-3 hours.
- Cut into squares and store in the fridge.