Let’s get fishy:
1. A scallop is a species of any of the numerous saltwater clams.
2. They have a dense and chewy texture.
3. They are great for adding to dishes that need a source of sturdy protein (soups, salads, pastas).
4. They pack a mean 5.5g of lean protein per ounce (muscle food)!
5. They’re super expensive (at least when you live in Missouri) so look to buy them at wholesale or when you’re near the sea.
6. They’re best eaten fresh vs frozen and thawed, try to buy fresh and use within a day or two.
7. They take a bit’a skill to cook and taste horrible if burned so listen up:
- Heat a pan to high heat with a generous amount of coconut oil
- Season scallops before placing in the pan
- Place your scallops in the pan spaced out to where they aren’t touching each other
- Let the scallops sear for about 2-3 minutes on each side (size dependent, larger takes longer) without touching them besides to flip!
- Remove from pan and enjoy!